Wednesday 6 April 2005

T-Shirt Conservation

In a fit of absolute madness, I ripped the sleeves off one of my favourite T-Shirts. The shirt was (it still is actually, albeit in a slightly modified avatar) one of the oldest T-Shirts I possess - dating back to my early days on returning to Bombay. I've done this before and I can only deduce one possible explanation for such behaviour - preservation of property.

Amma often threatens to take fatal action against several T-Shirts which struggle to cover my ever shrinking waistline - a fashion conscious female's dream top - a fashionless male's mother's cue to take the critical step. This consequently leads to the "Not that one surely" line from the son.

Flashback: As a kid - a lot of the T-Shirts I wore were already used and abused by anna. Not that I ever complained about it - it just meant that I wouldn't have to feel bad about ruining perfectly good new T-Shirts through constant exposure to the mud and dirt from Wallace's gardens. My only demand was that I be allowed to use the T-Shirt as long as anna had - reasonable surely? The argument was usually struck by Her Lordship of the time. The years and a characteristic stubborness have enabled me to win a few of these nowadays.

When the T-Shirt is spotted with numerous holes under the arms, on the sleeves and elsewhere - the best way to distract the mother from observing these is to create a much larger hole - it's worked before - here I go again!

"We didn't start the fire
It was always burning since the worlds were turning.
We didn't start the fire
No we didn't light it, but we tried to fight it."

This is not one of my favourite songs- its just on right now, so I figured I'd shove the lyrics in.

1 comment:

Johnny said...

shrinking waistline?? who u trying to con??? i have most of my t-shirts from the good ol' days as well though most of them have shrunk and can be now worn by long line of adoring female fans ;) to whom i donate generously... :-)

you should do the same, atleast your female fans will have some memento's of you which will be collector's item in the future as will mine :-D, i've always learnt to dream big and do big things and am on my way to become big and so are you...