Saturday 9 April 2005

Common, but no wealth

Somnath Chatterjee, the endearing Speaker of the Lok Sabha has shown how incredibly unreasonable a person can get when suffering from OCD. (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - for the uninformed - go watch 'As Good As it Gets') It seems mananiya adhyaksha ji's body comes over with rashes when anyone touches him. (heartfelt exaggeration this, I assure you)
It's an odd excuse not to go to a Commonwealth Parliamentary Meet because the guards at airport security will frisk you before you enter their country. It seems it hurts his national pride! (This was the official statement - no exaggeration here)

'
I cannot understand the wretch at all'

So sang Rex Harrison of Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady. Give or take an adjective and noun, I think it is fairly close to my thoughts on the Speaker.

The Commonwealth Meet topic takes me back to a humorous (now..not then) incident in my life. It all started when we decided to meet the Governor, Mr. S.M. Krishna, to invite him to come down for DMH. We were generally talking, while I was holding back daily ablutions (hehe) hoping for the best deal out of the meeting. Shaky tea cups and 15 minutes of mental nail-biting later - we got the worst deal of the lot. I then committed my famous (for me) faus pax before the Guv took off recalling his days in 1966 when he attended a Commonwealth Meet. (despite being frisked, I'm sure) I mentioned a few countries, and happened to mention Nigeria as one without a strong legal system - the Guv nearly snapped back - 'Commonwealth country boy!!'..he seemed to say. The Nigerian delegate was very good, I believe..etc. etc.... I shall not reproduce the meeting in detail for fear of crying at what could have been. I shall also not state why we got the worst deal for fear of a suit for defamation - go figure!

This is from a song called '22 Acacia Avenue' by Iron Maiden. Mr. Dickinson (lead vocalist) seems to coax us into going somewhere - I rejected his advice.

'If you’re feeling down depressed and lonely
I know a place where we can go
22 acacia avenue meet a lady that I know
So if you’re looking for a good time

And you’re prepared to pay the price
Fifteen quid is all she asks for
Everybody’s got their vice'

Bruce Dickinson has one of the best voices you will ever hear - go listen to a song called 'Man of Sorrows' off his albulm 'Accident of Birth' - the entire song is held together by his voice and one fantastic lead. It's amazing what one can do when you have a lead vocalist with range like that. Couple that with incredible riffs from Steve Harris - and you get "IRON MAIDEN" - gods of Power Metal.

I say all this only because I'm listening to one of their songs right now. More interesting blogs after the exams. Suggestions are welcome.

1 comment:

BeeDee said...

oh u brothers need to stop listening to that song. i can't get it out of my head now...the other day i couldn't remember the opening line and agonized for several hours over it. gah.

any word on the laptop btw?