Monday 18 July 2005

Wi-Fi in absentia

My last blog from abroad this year. I’m sitting in the Dubai Duty Free trying to connect my damn laptop to the Wi-Fi here – no luck. It’s amazing how quickly my mood has changed. It’s suddenly back to the not-so-cheerful guy. The signs of India are already showing – I was just cut in the line waiting to order my tea. Really irritating. The only time this happened in the UK was when this American summer studentish looking kid just went up to the counter in the Sainsbury’s at Ox. Really weird – she was, of course, sent back. No such luck here – the Chinks manning the counter are as clueless as everyone else.

I can’t quite say that I’m not impressed by the Dubai terminal – it is undoubtedly large and modernish, but I just liked the Bahrain one a lot more. I’m trying very hard to get my brain round this Stetson problem – am doing some reading here before I got bored of looking through my huge library of conventions. It seems such an unimpressive international problem…I really have no idea how it’s going to be argued for 45 minutes. Only two issues really – jurisdiction and one merit issue. Really bizarre problem, unless I’m really not getting the hang of it. It may well be the latter.

Right – shall sign off now and get some work done before the flight.

“When I left my home and my family
I was no more than a boy
In the company of strangers, in the quiet of the railway station
Running scared”

The Boxer by Simon & Garfunkel

No comments: