Tuesday 12 July 2005

London cries and cries again

It's been an extraordinary week. My last week at work, a pre-Gleneagles conference, London winning the Olympics, London being bombed, my send off, a rugby test, a cricket match...could I ask for more?

First up, the pre-Gleneagles conference. It was organised by the Business Action for Africa set up under the Commission for Africa by the UK Govt. Basically the business side of things. I wont dwell very long on it...a quick sum-up: "I'll believe it when I see it".

Then London won the Olympics on the same day and the UK went crazy. I was just hitting my head wondering how many days, if not weeks, of these self-inflating headlines one would have to endure in this country. It was, of course, not to be.

We were in the middle of a session on 'Trade and Investment in Africa' (or something like that), with Paul Boateng, the UK High Commissioner to S.Africa, chairing. The speakers have spoken, the audience has yawned and then in the middle of a question from a Swiss based Nigerian about the need to channelise the potential of SME's in the continent, somebody goes upto Sir Paul and tells him something. And then, without warning, "Hurrah. Hurrah. The United Kingdom has won the Olympics! They're coming to London. Yipee. Pardon Paris." (all this at very high pitch and very loudly, with mad hand gestures). The Brits in the audience didn't stop clapping for five minutes with Sir Paul leading them all. The poor man asking the question had this incredulous look on his face as did the rest of the Africans there. He regained his composure before finishing his question and sitting down in a very dignified manner, despite the obvious lack of hospitality by the British hosts!!

The next day started terribly. The train I usually take was late, and it was cold and raining. So I decided to take the tube instead of the bus, as I usually do. Then at Embankment the Tube just froze, for about 15 minutes. I was really pissed, cos I was getting late for work. Then we heard some crap announcement about a power surge, so everyone just left the train. Before the whole crowd, including me, could even get to the stairs to get out, they announced that trains were back up and running, followed by another one denying that 2 minutes later. Everyone was just really pissed. Of course, better than a stampede had we been told what had actually happened!

The rest is, of course, history.

I had a great send-off the day after (Friday). First lunch with most of the group followed by an official goodbye with gifts et al. A beautiful pair of cuff links (my boss' idea - a cricket bat and ball). All I now need to do is get a shirt I can actually use them on. Then on my way to the station, I met Claire (the woman who cried Superman...refer precious blog) and went out for drinks with a few trainees. Excellent day - really felt good at the end of it - it'e been a while!!

Anna came down to London that evening. Primarily to help pack and lug everything back to Ox. We woke up early the next morning to go watch the third Lions test (the 2nd primary reason anna came down) in a pub down the road. Great stuff. I can only say that the atmosphere would have been a lot better had it been an evening game - with the beer flowing etc., but I was happy to avoid seeing grown men cry.
As a side-comment: the All Blacks thrashed the Lions. I think they are simply the superior team and despite some pressure from the Lions, which actually worked, they were never in any trouble.

2 months of living in Twickenham - at least I can go home head held high saying that I watched a rugby test in a pub there!!

Sunday saw me turn out for a Commonwealth Scholars XI side versus the Rhodes XI side. My side, of course, won - with me opening the bowling!! I shall say no more about this for fear of being deprived of sustainance in my few days left here!

That's all about my last week in London. One more blog coming up.

I have no quote for today...a bun maska for the person who provides the best one. (Judges decision is final. I am, incidentally, the judge.)

No comments: