Sunday 17 July 2005

A 2nd goodbye

Right – I know I promised that my previous blog would be the last from this country, but two events occurred that have forced me to write another ‘one last one’.

First, the release of the new Harry Potter book. Blackwell’s, which is the bookstore of Oxford, opened its doors at 11pm for the first time ever (this is significant, seeing as Blackwell’s is a few hundred years old). Anna and I were walking past it on the way back from one of the social events referred to in my previous blog, and there were all these people, grown-ups and kids alike queuing up outside in all sorts of weird black outfits and pointy hats. One woman (presumably hired by Blackwell’s) had these two fire-eater type flames at the end of two sticks(?). And of course, how can one forget the Jap tourists taking photos.

The second thing I have to write about is the graduation ceremony I attended yesterday – Julia’s incidentally. Anna and I were invited as her two guests. It is simply awesome there in the Sheldonian and if I ever decide to come to Ox, a few sacrifices along the way and in Ox may well be worth it for this kind of graduation! The entire ceremony, save for the Vice-Chancellor’s short speech is in Latin and the academic gowns that are awarded are exquisite. The Vice-Chancellor incidentally made his entire custom speech at Manmohan Singh’s ceremony in Latin! (Now there’s something to strive for!!!)

Sitting in the VC’s chair yesterday was Linacre’s Principal, who is like a chaddi bum-chum of anna. During the College tea here (with some great pastries and other sugar filled items), he obviously mistook me for anna and made familiar PC (as opposed to just PC) whilst standing in the line to grab a cuppa and afterwards as well. But he seems a very nice guy – and I’m sure anna will thoroughly enjoy it should he be there to give away the D.Phil to anna. Anna took a liking to the D.Phil gowns too – I think that’s a good thing, seeing where he’s heading!

Ok – this remains a short blog – I have to go and pick up some groceries, food etc. Anna has his lab talk coming up, so the usual pre-test/exam type stress is on as he does his ppt. But he looks well in control. I leave for Heathrow early tomorrow morning, and am getting into Bombay nearly 24 hours later. And everyone thought air travel was quick – yeah rrrrrrrrrright.

Since this is an add-on/unofficial blog, I see no reason why it should be blessed with a quote!! Cheerio, pip-pip and all that… Goodbye to the motherland finally.

1 comment:

Saranya said...

Dear Younger One,
Just a few clarifications. At Dr.Singh's ceremony, the VC did not make the Latin speech, it was the head of the Economics dept(presumably). The procedure is quite simple, he basically introduces the candidate for the degree and makes a case for him. He is then voted for by the congregation. His commendation is in Latin. A very bizarre speech, especially as Punjab needs to be said in Latin.

Yes, I would love to have Prof. Slack give me my degree and shake my hand.

Anyway it was jolly good to see you chap! Pop around for a cuppa next year!