Sunday 17 June 2007

They're almost here

After a week or so that I rather wish hadn't ever existed, the monsoons have begun rolling into Bombay. It's remarkable that after all these years, it's the little things that nature provides that fascinate me the most.

A few days ago, I saw one of the most beautiful sunsets I've ever seen - anywhere. There was this incredible lilac colour to the sky and the Malabar Hill to Bombay Central or so skyline in a perfect silhouette.

Today the sea decided to tell Bombay it shouldn't be ignored in our obsession with the clouds. It was pretty much the roughest I've ever seen it in a long while. As I rode back after a sumptuous lunch courtesy D Aunty, the tide appeared to have come in so quickly that people were stranded at Haji Ali. Even with all the wave breakers that have put in place, this was the first time I can recall some serious waves hitting the Haji Ali sea face walls.

It got even better on Worli sea face. Actually it was incredible - I'm sure there will be photos in tomorrow's papers. The waves were like the waves of old - not going as far as the other side, but rather going at least 30-40 feet straight up. There was a huge gathering as people came in for a Sunday afternoon picnic(?). Can't describe it...but wonderful to see...

"The dust has finally settled on the field of human clay
Just enough light has shown through
To tell the night from the day
We are incomplete and hollow
For our maker has gone away
Who is to blame?
We'll surely melt in the rain"

Say I by Creed

1 comment:

Johnny said...

heya, still in bombay? no news from u in a while. Hope all the interviews are going well. lemme know wats going on...will send u a mail soon filling u in stuff from my side