Tuesday 30 January 2007

And the Scoresheets

The Scoresheets indicate the following:

1. We lost both rounds - resoundingly...by 150 & 100 points respectively. We must have finished amongst the last 3 teams out of 20...
2. Our mem got a 111 out of 200. The 1st team we lost to (Say Team X) got 156. If I asked a 5 year old to take a stick and make designs in the sand on Marina, there's more likelihood of those designs getting a 156...
3. Team Y (the 2nd team we lost to) got a 110, and I think they got a raw deal too.

On Sunday morning, I was just low to be honest. Now I'm just pissed. Even objectively, I'd put my neck on the line and say we could have hit the QFs at the very least of Washington with our arguments. I have never felt as close to saying "Guys, we've cracked the problem" as with this one...

We looked at everything. How to read one treaty into another, how not to read them. How to trace custom, how to seize the court appropriately. How to avoid counterclaims, how to prove valid countermeasures....EVERY GODDAMN THING and Team X which says the de lege lata norms of the '61 convention apply to international orgs beats us??? A team which doesn't know what its jurisdiction is..whether 36(1) or 36(2) wins the competition???

One of the judges (and I'm pretty sure I know which one - LLM student, no speako English, no can spell law of international peeepoools) gave both APR and me a 30!!! He asked me one question which neither me nor APR nor DM nor the opposing team nor his fellow judges could understand. When I say that, I refer not to the relevance of the question alone, but the words included...

This isn't worth my time....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

bad luck! Dont worry too much about it. Send your memorial out to others who might understand why the 1961 jurisdiction is such a weak argument.
Did you lose to a local team?
BTW, I fear that you might go further in life than your judge, so dont fret too much.

You are right, it isn't worth the time to write this down properly, better to play some Pantera or other such noise;)

BTW, how about I fund your trip to DC if you fund our europe trip?

Johnny said...

like saranya says don't worry too much, from the sounds of it ur judge had no clue what he was doing and neither did anyone else know what he was doing so just boils down to bad luck.

i know u wanted to win this jessup considering it was ur last one but i think the road ahead for u is pretty bright so don't let this get u down.

go listen to some kurt cobain or black sabbath or even ratm...could help clear ur mind and cheer u up.

take care buddy :)