Tuesday 20 December 2005

Sport and Politics - Methyl alchohol to the masses

I'm not usually keen on expressing my views on cricket but this time I've been left little or no choice. For the first time (and I really do hate this) I actually feel sorry for Ganguly. (ok - all his fans can give me a pasting later). He's been given a pretty shitty deal and yes, he (even he) does deserve better.

Even though India's been doing well, there is this strong underlying sense of politicking in everything that is taking place around the team, not least of all Sourav da flying down from Cal to Delhi for an appointment with Mr. Pawar. I can't, except for dinner table wisecracks, speculate on what exactly is happening within the spheres that control the sport in India, but I am quite content to say that I don't like it.

True, I presume there has always been politics in the game ever since it became a serious money-spinner (thanks to Mr. Dalmiya), but sometimes ignorance is bliss. (forgive the cliche). There's something about sports that sets it apart from all other issues in our day-to-day lives. A cleanliness to it, maybe? I can't put my finger on it - a purity about it, an unmatched simplicity? Politics (or at least ostensible politics) sort of ruins that. No - I liked it better when Mr. Dalmiya kept the media and the public out.

In other news, Ronaldinho is the FIFA player of the year again. Barca teammate Eto'o polled 3rd. Explains why they're doing so well, as also my good mood each time I catch up with La Liga action.

You're sitting alone you watch
As the wind is blowing treetops
And the swaying rustling leaves
Plenty of time to perceive
As you wait for rain to fall
Only God knows
The whole sky glows

-Lightning Strikes Twice by Iron Maiden

No comments: