Thursday 13 March 2008

Music Education - Class 2 (Part 1)

After the initial introduction of possible things to come last week, I revert to my promise of gradual progress. Today's featured song is a classic. Written in the late 1960s / early 70s, Paranoid was one of the songs that propelled Black Sabbath to metal legends status. Even the more ignorant of my readers will have heard of Ozzy Osbourne - he was (still is) Sabbath's frontman.

To truly appreciate this song, picture yourself as a teenager, about a year after you first heard 'I'd like to be, under the sea, in an Octupus' Garden with you'. Along comes Sabbath with frighteningly noir lyrics, and using distortion pedals to actually sound 'heavy'.

For the reader with problems watching the video - you don't have to. This is pretty much the first time I've watched these videos as well. I include a couple of links (these are optional for the course, but highly recommended) below:
1. Megadeth's version of Paranoid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ISjWmkUnI
2. Ironman by Black Sabbath (another classic - lyrics on the info part of the video) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S524O_XNoLM

For Paranoid and Ironman - notice the wonderful riffs - how they're so catchy...especially when they're sped up (and made even heavier), ala the Megadeth version.

Before I give you the lyrics to Paranoid - the more perceptive of you will notice that this is only Part 1 of today's class. The reason for this is that thanks to upcoming events, I feel compelled to include an Iron Maiden song on today's class. That forms Part 2 of today's class.

Paranoid lyrics:

Finished with my woman cause she couldn't help me with my mind.
people think i'm insane because I am frowning all the time!

All day long I think of things
but nothing seems to satisfy
Think I'll lose my mind
if I don't find something to pacify

Can you help me, occupy my brain?
Oh yeah!

I need someone to show me
the things in life that I can't find
I can't see the things that make true
happiness, I must be blind

Make a joke and I will sigh
and you will laugh and I will cry
Happiness I cannot feel
and love to me is so unreal

And so as you hear these words
telling you now of my state
I tell you to enjoy life
I wish I could but it's too late

No comments: