Wednesday 27 February 2008

'You obnoxious little weed'

But Matt Hayden's 'intentions were never to denigrate cricket or anyone.'
Which led me to try and figure out what denigrate means. Here it is (courtesy dictionary.com):

Denigrate: 'to speak damagingly of; criticize in a derogatory manner; sully; defame'

The Aussies are not known to be the most academically oriented bunch (AT tends to refer to them as radiya's), but its a little hard to see how calling Harbhajan an 'obnoxious weed' does anything but 'denigrate'.

My next pet peeve about Hayden's delightfully obnoxious buccal weed (my intentions are not to denigrate). Here referring to Ishant: "He is just young. I have said to him many times, 'You are 19, take it easy'. ... He is 19, why doesn't he just worry about his bowling for a while? I like the idea of actually getting into the ring (with him). I like that, bring it on."

2 things: first, Ishant seems to be concentrating more than enough on his bowling. Certainly enough to regularly get Ponting ('the world's best batsman') out through the summer. Second, are you seriously asking for a match-up in a boxing ring? WHO DOES THAT? The only people I recall are slightly obnoxious boxers (
my intentions are not to denigrate) and for them, its sort of their job.

So to you Mr. Hayden - keep that tongue inside the mouth and score some runs if you can. If you can't, I'd recommend you concentrate on your own batting rather than telling 19 year-old's to worry about their bowling.

No comments: