Tuesday 6 November 2007

The Competitive Streak

Yesterday I played one of the best matches I've ever played in any sport. Maybe the reason I probably enjoyed it this much is that I actually won at the end. But closer inspection would indicate otherwise.

It's been years since I've seen myself so passionately engaged in a match that I'm able to do the Connors-esque pump of the fist and scream 'C'mon' loud enough for the 2 basketball court indoor gym to stop their games momentarily and wonder what's going on. I miss that...and I'm glad I'm back to playing some sort of competitive sport - I just love it. It's now that I realise how much I miss it as well...

The match in itself was very good, in terms of quality and otherwise - I played a German with very good table manners (I'm not sure my screaming would put me in the same category). There are some opponents (particularly in TT, because of the physical proximity) who annoy the hell out of you. And there are others against whom you play hard, but enjoy playing against just because of the courtesy across the table...yesterday was the latter.

In any case, for the record - I won 17-15 or 16-14 in the 5th. During the last game, when we went back to yet another deuce, we sort of looked at each other for a moment, trying to recall the score and just shrugged with a smile!

Great match....

2 comments:

BeeDee said...

congratulations!!

chilling out in philly. this is a decidedly strange place.

anyway, looking forward to seeing u in a couple of weeks' time. will tell ur anna about ur sporting exploits.

Anonymous said...

COngrats!! Good to hear you enjoyed the match. Here's wishing you more of the same:)
Amma