Sunday 19 June 2005

20:20 Hindsight

Yesterday, the unimaginable happened - one of the lenses from my glasses popped out. I'm pleased that it happened while I was in anna's room and not on the tube or something. I now have to put it back together, besides taking an informed decision about whether to actually wear it outside the office or not. I can do without it, or so I shall proudly claim anyway.

Anna and I watched The Guns of Navarone last night. I had last watched it ages ago, when I was still a piddly little kid and couldn't understand the English part of the dialogues leave alone the German and the Greek. Yesterday was an improvement on that. Not only did I grasp 80% of the English but I also managed to figure out a few of the German dialogues. (Ja, ich kann sehr gut Deutsch sprehen!!!) Comments on this aspect of the blog are not welcome, particularly from those who know more German than me.

Today when I woke up, the better bart of my body was covered in pain and/or stiffness. I could always say that I should have known better before going and running and working out in the evening despite the tennis as well. Today there's some cricket that' s happening. A few of anna's gang and we're playing with a Slazball. The Slazball is the equivalent of the Cosco Cricket balls we used to use back home, and particularly in Delhi, where one could bribe oneself into playing with a gang by providing the ball, rather than the "Bhaiya, khilaoge?" approach. For those of you who are incredibly uninformed - a Cosco Cricket ball is basically a rather hard tennis ball. The advantage of playing with a harder ball (and heavier) as compared to an ordinary tennis ball, is that it will travel further in the air when hit. (not that its in any danger of that when I'm around!)

I can feel myself getting bored as I type, so I shall sign off for the day (and probably the week).
Oh, wait wait. I can't not mention this in my blog - Bangaldesh beat Australia yesterday! I am nearly the happiest chap living. I read one of the most disgusting pieces of colmn writing by Shane Warne (with whom I incidentally share a birthday). See here for the column. Someone should now make him eat his laptop, not just the paper on which the column was printed.

I'm off now. For a quote..hmm..let me see..

"Another prophet of disaster who says this ship is lost
Another prophet of disaster leaving you to count the cost
Taunting us with visions, afflicting us with fears
Predicting war for millions in the hope that one appears"

The prophet reminds me of George Bush (both of them!)
That from 'Die with your Boots on' by Iron Maiden

2 comments:

Johnny said...

herr Sridhar, wie geht ist ihnen? meine deutsch ist gut aber, dein is super, folglich ich bin nicht Kritisieren deine Deutsche ;) lol

dude, why don't you switch to contact lenses? at least you won’t have to worry so much about your lenses popping out...

The Guns of Navarone, aaah, what a movie, an absolute classic. I bet it was your bro's choice :p

so if tennis gave you some stiff muscles I’m not too sure I wanna know what your condition is after playing cricket with your fancy Slazball, hehe, I shall just hope that you have not taken after me and that all is as it should be :D

I read the column that warney wrote, and trust me I couldn’t be happier for the Bangladeshi’s but now what? where do they go from here? will they be able to continue the new found form aka remain consistent, or will they shrivel up and just remain in awe that one time they beat Australia in the summer of 2005? if statistics is anything to go by, Kenya beat a mighty West Indian team and yet they still have not received test status, Zimbabwe beat Australia in the 1983 world cup on their debut yet are struggling to keep their current test status, so what about Bangladesh, will they be able to rise from this or will they get complacent and go back to the hole they came out of? Unless they can prove themselves to be more consistent, I’m afraid I have to agree with Blondie there. Also remember this is an ODI, where anything could happen, could they have done this in a test match, I strongly doubt it.

PS: my bet is still on Roddick, unfortunately Safin has a really tough road to the finals :(

Johnny said...

safin opens the tournament against Srichaphan of thailand, and then has most probably Philippoussis next, then Hrbaty/Ancic in the 4th round, then Hewitt most likely in the quaters and then Federer in the semi's that's if he last's till then...god only knows what will happen for him...poor guy

compared to him roddick has coria in the 4th round, grosjean/henman in the quaters and then god only knows who...

ur likely winner, federer, has kiefer in the third round, ferrero in the 4th, and then probably rusedski/davydenko/gonzalez in the quaters and then either hewitt/safin in the semi's and most likely roddick in the final ;)

though i hope nadal and haas do well, it seems quite unlikely that they will get anywhere past the 4th round...

though again, who knows what's gonna happen tomm, it all depends on that day, like the way the minnows in cricket beat the champion, who knows what lies ahead...

will do an analysis of the women's draw and put it up sometime later ;)